Monday, March 17, 2008

Water Dreams

I love to swim. I don't get the chance to do it much anymore as an adult. I remember in late grade school and through Jr High I would walk to the YWCA on Thursday afternoons to go swimming with my friends. It was a good mile walk but my parents let me do that for some reason. I remember the smell of chlorine as I would head down the back steps to the locker room and pay my 1.25 to the attendant. I remember the sound of silence as I would sink deep into the water and just dream.

I also remember one particular night walking home in what started out as a light rain. Then came the wind and near tornados. My memory says that as I was making my final approach to the house steps I had to fight, my way through the wind to the point I really thought I might blow away. I can remember being very scared and yet telling myself to remain calm and keep walking. The thing about that memory is that today when I reflect back on it I am not for sure if that night walk in the wind and the rain was real or just a dream that became real to me over the years.

Either way I like the image... Tonight I met God again in the creation of a new memory in a different pool. This time I spent the evening swimming with my son. I could smell the chlorine and it was kind of like a dream again. I was very happy and knew I was on the right path. It was such a great time of splashing and laughing that it seemed like a dream at times. I think we should do this more as adults... let our dreams inter mingle with our life so that what we dream can become what we live and what we live seems like a dream. Isn't that propinquity with God at its fullest... Hmmm not sure but its what Im thinking today...

No comments: